BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Additives not required

I wanted to post about this the other day, but ended up dealing a sick kid then getting sick myself. Gotta love being Mommy!!

Anyway....Haley and I were watching tv the other day and a commercial for a new Strawberry Shortcake doll came on. I didnt think anything of it and (honestly) wasnt paying much attention. That is, until I heard the doll say, "Do my makeup so I can be pretty!" I was so shocked that I didnt think I heard it right. Right as I was about to dimiss the commercial, Haley turns to me and ask why she needs makeup because Strawberry Shortcake is pretty without it. So, I end sitting on the couch explaining to my 6 year old that EVERYONE is pretty without make up. I found myself in a position I didnt think I would be in for another few years but, I forogt Haley isnt growing up in the same world I did. I didnt grow up with dolls that came with make up. Sure, Barbie had make up, and boobs, and fancy clothes. But she was Barbie, I never thought she was real or that I wanted to be just like her. Well, aside from the pink 57 Chevy but that WAS a cool car!!

As I was telling Curtis about the doll, I saw this look come over his face and he tells me that that doll will NEVER be in this house. Funny part is he used the same tone that he has when the bathing suits come out every year and he sees some of the stuff made for girls. Everything got me thinking about what socitey tells girls, starting at suck a young age. Almost all of the dolls are skinny, have boobs, make up on their faces. wearing high heels, all that shit. So, I asked Haley about it. She said that "Dolls wear those clothes but everyone else wear jeans". Then it doned on me that most of the other women Haley deals with are moms, just like me. She sees me first thing in the morning, with no make up(which I hardly wear anyway), hair all messy, looking very unglamerous. And, while I'm looking so unflattering, she sees Curtis come up behind me, wrap his arms around my waist and tell me I'm beautiful. I dont know what I'm more grateful for, the fact that my husband thinks I'm beautiful at 6am or that my daughters see that just about every day.

I realize that as we raise our three daughters, we will be trying to fight the pressures the society will put on them. I WILL NOT raise my daughters to think that they have to be a certain way. My daughters, just like EVERY woman, is beautiful without any "additives". I just wish every one understood that. But until that happens, Curtis and I, along with every other parent, must fight the tide on this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a terrific mother. The fact that your six yr old looked at you and asked why the doll needed make-up to be pretty bc she already is pretty proves that you are well ahead of the tide. I can only hope that Emmy is as well adjusted as Haley! I hope I am doing as good a job as you are. You are truly an inspiration.

Jennifer said...

I have delt with those issues as well. It was a stab in the heart when my daughter asked when she can wear make up so she is pretty... KILLED me... Sad part is... I saw my mom POUND on the makeup and I believe that is where it comes from.

I have stopped wearing makeup for the most part. Do I like it HELL no.. PCOS sucks and I have the acne of a teenager... Do I mind... Not so much as long as my daughter can understand that she is too pretty and that is how she was made....

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a blog roll I found your Blogs interesting so inviting you to join our new venture you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 20 of Dec 2009

we wish to include your blog located here

http://mommy-to-3.blogspot.com/

we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic to your recently posted entries.

If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

pls use the following format to link to us

KeralaTravel

Write Back To me Over here keralaenchanting@gmail.com

hoping to hear from you soon.

warm regards

Biby Cletus