BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 14, 2010

Cookbook Challenge

When Haley said "Fried chicken again?" I realized that I have fallen into a rut with dinners. I try to vary what we eat but with 3 kids, a husband who works weird hours about half the week, and everything else we have going on...well, I have used certain dinners as a crutch. I know my kids will eat spaghetti, fish sticks, meatloaf and breakfast for dinner is always a winner!

I hate that this has happened, especially when I have a bunch of cookbooks. So, I decided that I'm doing 30 different recipes in 30 days. I know there are some things that my fam (including me) just wont eat. And, if I'm going to be making "new" stuff, I need to keep some of the no-fails around to keep the boat from rocking too much. So I sat down last night and made my list of "need to try this" foods. I completed my list of 30 and realized that I only used one cookbook. Wasnt my intention to do that but it worked out. Every recipe came out of Grandma Mel's cookbook.

This cookbook came from Curtis' grandma. It is full of family recipes and has little stories that tie into some of them. Sadly, I only met Grandma Mel twice before she passed away. I have gotten to know her through stories told around the dinner table at my in-laws house, through bits and pieces of memories that belong to other people. I know we will hear many more stories when we are in Eureka next month and I know it will be hard on my husband. The last time he was there was 2 years ago for his grandpa's funeral (this being the second time I had met Grandma Mel). Sadly, he wasnt able to go back last year for her funeral as I was about ready to have Anda.

So, getting more off the beaten path (but it ties in, I swear), Laura and I were talking about our vacation the other day. She asked me if she would be able to meet Grandma Mel when we go to California. I knew something like this was going to happen and I was somewhat ready for it. I swallowed the lump in my throat and told my daughter that Grandma Mel lives in heaven now so we would not be able to see her on vacation. She seemed satisfied with this and turned to look out the window. After a minute, she looks back at me and tell me that Grandma Mel left her cookbook here so we can get to know her through the food.

And that is what I intend to do!! My list contains 30 recipes from the best cookbook to ever come into my house!! My list has chicken dishes, beef dishes, pies, cookies, cakes, casseroles and breads. And probably some other things that I forgot. I know as I make these dishes, I can change things to suit my family and our tastes. I know as I make these dishes, my list of 30 will grow ever longer. I will find recipes that I missed and add those to my list. Curtis will remember something from growing up and my list will get longer.

I'm sure as I cook my way through the book, I will update things on here. I have not had a "fail" come out of the cookbook yet and I'm hoping to keep it that way!!

0 comments: