BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lamitcal Journey

Thursday will make one week of Haley being on her new meds. While I know this is going to be a constant uphill battle, I am (cautiously) optimistic about the Lamitcal. Haley has, on average, 25-30 seizures a day and they last anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. I know that doesnt seem like a long time, but its 30 seconds where her brain is firing off too many impulses. Its 30 seconds where she has no control over her potty. I know we are lucky compared to other families that deal with epilepsy. Haley does not lose control of her bladder when she seizues. She does fall to the ground with her arms and legs jerking around. They type of epilepsy we are fighting is mild, which also makes it harder to fight. And the chances that Haley will grow of it are very slim.

Our trip to Madigan was incredible, despite the 3 hour drive there and back. Her neurologist was great and spent more time talking to Haley than to me. He gave me 2 meds to look up and let Curtis and I choose which one we wanted to try. She had already been on Depakote and it worked but no all that great. I wanted to try a new medication and I was willing to accept the side effects of Lamictal. After a fiasco at the pharmacy at Navy hospital and phone calls to just about every other pharmacy in town, the pharmacist at Walgreens swooped in like an angel!! Marjorie told me that didnt have the meds in stock but could order them and they would be in the next day. I gave her all of Haley's info and asked what I needed to do so that she could bill our insurance. She told me nothing!! I didnt have to do one thing besides coming in to pick up the meds!!! She would (and did!) take care of everything. So, we show up to get the meds and I'm expecting to pay about $30 since Lamitcal was a brand name formulary drug in the top tier of our insurance plan. Nope!!!!! $3!!!! Marjorie fought with my insurance so that I would have the lowest possible copay! I could have kissed her at that moment!!!! Its service like that that makes we want to never deal with pharmacy on base ever again. And for Haley's meds, I wont. I know she will end up with more prescriptions and I will take all of them to Marjorie.

0 comments: